The Killarney Royal, Originally known as the Munster Arms was built in 1900. Peter & Lene Scott ran it as a boarding house for coachmen for many years. Peggy & Christy Scott then took over and transformed it to the Criterion Hotel.
In 1961 Marie and Marcus Treacy, former owners of the Ross Hotel purchased the Criterion Hotel and renamed it the Royal Hotel. In 1976 their daughter Margaret and her husband Joe Scally inherited the hotel.
Today the Scally family are running an exclusive boutique 4 star hotel with 29 bedrooms in the heart of Killarney. In 1996 Joe and Margaret opened a 5 Star property, Hayfield Manor, which is based in Cork City and is now managed by their daughter, Annemarie and her husband Ettienne.
In 1998 the hotel went under a major refurbishment programme. Air conditioning was installed throughout the hotel, rooms were individually designed with marble bathrooms and sitting areas. The highest quality of materials and workmanship were used and the hotel still retains an elegant period style that is appropriate to its age and the design of the building
After three generations the Scally family see excellence as the main ingredient for success and this is seen in their staff, five of whom have a combined service of 99 years, which creates a "home away from home" atmosphere and provide a warm welcome that is hard to forget. This family run hotel is an intimate, luxurious hotel with an emphasis on personal service.